Autumn is the time when gardeners are closely engaged in harvesting. The question arises not only in how to manage to collect everything that has managed to grow in the gardens, but also how to maintain this abundance of vegetables, fruits and berries for the winter. In this article, we will try to understand the rules for drying various types of onions for the winter at home.
How and when to remove onions from the beds
Onions, regardless of variety, ripen within 3 to 4 months after planting. A sign that the vegetable is ready to be harvested is yellowed foliage that has crashed to the ground. The bulbs themselves are bulging from the ground and have a juicy, poured appearance.
Harvest onions should be in dry sunny weather. It is desirable that the earth be slightly moist, but not moist. It will be much easier to extract it from such soil and the root system of the onion will not be damaged. Keeping the roots intact is very important, otherwise it can lead to quick spoilage of the vegetable.
How to dry onions after harvesting
After the onion is dug up, it must be left for several hours in the garden so that it dries slightly. Then the vegetables are transferred into the shade, in a well-ventilated area.
After 5 - 6 days of drying, the onions are sorted, leaving for the longest storage only the strongest, not damaged specimens. If you plan to dry the onions in "braids", then the ponytails of the bulbs should be left long, and if in the nets, then the dry leaves should be cut to leave a small neck 4-6 cm long.
The storage room should be dry and well ventilated. Cropped bulbs are laid out in one layer on nets stretched at some distance from the ground. You can also use mesh plastic boxes or bags. However, in this case, onion turnips will need to be periodically tedged so that the drying proceeds evenly.
Enterprising housewives for drying onions learned to use such kapron products as stockings and tights. True, it is best to place in them already completely dried onions for further storage.
"Braids" from onions look very beautiful and in country houses often act as an element of decor.
To keep the onions in the “braids” for a long time, you need to know a number of rules:
- Since dry onion feathers are quite fragile, the design should not be made long and heavy.
- To strengthen the braid, it is necessary to add some kind of strong rope.
- To ensure that the vegetables are well ventilated, they should not be weaved too tightly.
- Keep the "braid" in a suspended position.
Watch the video tutorial from the channel "Novelties from the Witch" on how to weave onion braids
How to dry onions at home
Onions can be dried chopped. Cutting options can be different: rings, half rings, cubes. The thickness of the slices, in any case, should not be more than 3 - 5 millimeters.
Before drying, green onions are washed and dried on towels. Cutting is done with arbitrary wheels.
Onion slices are spread evenly on baking sheets coated with baking paper. The oven is heated to a temperature of 50-60 degrees, and then placed there are pallets with onions. The cabinet door is kept ajar for the entire cooking time, and the cutting itself is periodically mixed, controlling the cooking process.
Green onions should be dried separately from onions, as they dry twice as fast. Onion drying time is approximately 5-6 hours.
Watch the video from the channel "Family Poddubny" - How to dry onions on a trip or trip
In the electric dryer
Onion slices are evenly laid out on pallets. The exposure temperature is 55 - 65 degrees. Drying time will depend on the type of onion. The greens will dry literally in 2.5 - 3 hours, and onions may take up to 7 hours.
On different pallets you can dry both the green parts of the plant and the chopped turnip.
Watch the video from Ezidri Master - Drying Onion Greens in Ezidri
Onions can be dried in the fresh air. To do this, chop the onion. Onions can be dried rings. Next, the cutting is laid out on grilles or boards, which are left in a well-ventilated place, avoiding sunlight.
Periodically, the onions should be mixed so that the drying proceeds evenly. Drying in the fresh air takes approximately 10 to 14 days.
How to keep onions after drying
The dried onion turnip is placed in ventilated boxes in portions of 5 - 6 kilograms, and sent to a dark, cool place. It can be a basement or a cellar.
Dry canned or green onion is mixed or stored separately in jars with a tightly twisted lid. The storage location may be a cabinet that protects products from direct sunlight.
Step by step cooking dried green onions at home, recipe with photo:
1. Carefully sort green onions. Selecting juicy feathers that look healthy and strong. For drying, leave only the freshest and most fragrant feather. Carefully peel the selected onions from dried tips, remove unnecessary films and rotten parts of feathers. These items will spoil the quality of the product. Then wash it and dry it with a paper towel or lay it on the countertop so that it dries naturally. When the onion dries, finely chop it with a sharp knife. For drying, you can use both green feathers and white parts of feathers.
2. Lay the green onions on a baking sheet in an even layer so that the pieces are not piled on top of each other by the mountain.
3. Heat the oven to 60 degrees and place a baking sheet in it. Keep the door ajar. Dry the onion for about 2 hours. Stir it periodically to dry it evenly. The preparedness of dried grass is defined as follows: rub the onion between the fingers, if it is dry and crumbles, then it is ready. Remove it from the oven and let cool at room temperature. Then pour it into a glass container, close the lid and store in a dark, ventilated room. If desired, the dried feathers of green onions can be chopped with a blender into a powder consistency.
In the same way, you can save any tasty and healthy greens for the winter.
See also a video recipe on how to dry and subsequently preserve a feather of green onions.
How to dry onions?
In order for the onion to be well stored, it is necessary to collect it in dry weather. Watering should be completely stopped a couple of weeks before the harvest. You can not pull the bulb out of the ground. It must be dug up, otherwise you will damage the bottom and the vegetable will begin to rot.
After the crop is harvested, the question arises of how to dry onions. To do this, you can use the following methods:
- Leave the onions directly on the beds. This method can be used only if the air temperature is in the range from +20 to +30 degrees and precipitation does not occur. In order to prevent dew from settling on the vegetables early in the morning, cover them with covering material in the evening. In this way, the onion is completely dried in 10-15 days.
- Weave onion braids. Take the onion and tie a double folded rope to it. Then simply weave the pigtail out of the onion tails and fix them with a rope. The structure obtained by this method must be suspended from the ceiling in a well-ventilated area. Separating dried onions from a bunch is very simple using scissors.
Fully dried onions should be firm to the touch. The outer husk should be dense and dry, the neck should close well. Only such an onion can be removed for storage. Before that, clean it of the remnants of the earth. Places to cut feathers should be burned with fire. The neck length should not exceed 4 cm.
How to store onions?
After you have harvested and dried the crop, you must put it in storage. To do this, you can use the following methods:
- Hanging in grids. Transfer the prepared vegetables to special mesh bags and bring them to the ceiling in a well-ventilated area. If there are no such bags, you can use the old nylon tights.
- Bookmark in wooden boxes. Prepare a wooden box, the height of which does not exceed 30 cm. Make holes in it, pour dried vegetables into it. Put the box in a cool, dry place.
Remember that you cannot store onions in plastic bags. This material does not let air through, and condensation begins to form on the vegetables, causing mold.
Observing the rules of drying and storage, you can save your harvest for the whole winter.