What hostess did not encounter the question - where to use what was not eaten after yesterday's gatherings? Leftover holiday dishes can be the basis for a quick bite or even new meals. You just need to turn on your imagination - or use our recipes!
So, before you are leftover turkey - boiled or baked. What will we cook? Read on 🙂
The simplest thing is to do sandwiches. Or sandwiches.
We take two pieces of white bread and fry in a pan until crisp. Put a lettuce leaf on the bottom piece, grease with any sauce on top, put yesterday's turkey, followed by a slice of cheese and onion rings. The second slice of bread completes the design.
Want a hot sandwich? You are welcome! Fry the bread on one side, turn it over immediately in a pan, smear the fried side with sauce, then turkey. Sprinkle with grated cheese and cover. 2 minutes - The Hot Sandwich From Yesterday's Turkey is ready.
We prepare delicious shawarma from what is at hand 🙂 Finely chop the Beijing cabbage, three cucumbers on a grater for Korean carrots, sort the turkey meat into fibers, cut the tomato into thin slices. Sauce - mix mayonnaise with lemon juice, a mixture of peppers and mustard. Grease the pita with this sauce, put all the chopped ingredients, wrap the shawarma and fry in a grill pan on both sides.
Salad a la Caesar
Finely tear the lettuce leaves, cut the turkey into small pieces. We also need a finely chopped hard-boiled egg, homemade crackers and grated cheese. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and serve with the sauce.
Turkey Stew with White Wine
Yes, yes, you can give a second life to yesterday's turkey, turning it into a gourmet dish. Especially if after the party there is a bottle of unfinished wine.
- 2 pcs onions
- 5-6 large champignons
- 300 ml dry white wine
- 120 ml cream
- 300 grams of turkey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Provencal herbs
- Shred finely a couple of medium onions and larger mushrooms, fry in butter until golden brown.
- As they are almost ready - add a little flour and fry for another minute.
- Next, pour white dry wine and simmer for 5 minutes. The wine should boil halfway.
- Then pour the cream and cook another couple of minutes.
- It’s the turn of the turkey - add the finely chopped meat to the mushroom sauce and cook for 5 minutes under the lid over low heat. Do not forget to salt.
- A minute before removing from heat, add Provencal herbs.
You can serve rice or pasta on the side dish.
Puff pastry envelopes
1. First, prepare a simple sauce for the filling.
- 2 tbsp. l warm water
- Lemon juice (half)
- 2 pcs egg yolks
- 1 pack (180g) butter
- Salt, spices
- We begin to whip warm water, juice of half a lemon and two egg yolks, slowly pouring melted butter.
- Beat until the sauce thickens. Salt, add spices to taste.
2. Now you can get to the filling.
- 1 onion (medium size)
- 300 grams of turkey
- 100 grams of grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons granular mustard
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- pre-made sauce
- Finely chop the onion and fry in a pan in olive oil.
- Add finely chopped turkey, sauce, grated cheese, mustard and spices to taste.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut into squares. Put the filling in the center of each square. We fasten the ends of the envelopes crosswise, you can use a toothpick for reliability. Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown.
1. First, let's get pancakes. You can make the dough according to your favorite recipe, or for lack of one, use our 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 chicken eggs
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Separate the yolks from the proteins, grind with sugar and salt, beat.
- Add warm milk, mix thoroughly, add sifted flour, mix again until smooth.
- Beat the proteins until a strong foam, carefully enter into the milk-flour mixture.
- Pour in vegetable oil and mix thoroughly again.
- We bake thin pancakes.
2. Now the next thing is the filling.
- 500 grams of turkey
- 300 grams of champignons
- 150 ml cream
- 2 pieces separated from protein yolks
- 50 grams of rum / cognac
- salt / nutmeg
- Fry the champignons, add the finely chopped turkey, add the cream and whipped egg yolks.
- Bring to a thickening over low heat. Salt, add nutmeg, remove from heat.
- After the mixture cools down slightly, pour in cognac, mix. The filling is ready.
Put the filling in the center of the pancake, turn it into an envelope. Serve for tea, coffee or broth.
Turkey with rice
- 400 grams of turkey
- 100 grams of champignons
- bunch of green onions
- 1 medium carrot
- 500 grams of boiled rice
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Fry green onions in vegetable oil for 1 minute, add mushrooms, continue to fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped carrots, turkey chopped into small pieces and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add rice, soy sauce, honey and water. Stew for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with coriander and serve immediately. You can right in the pan.
How to cook a turkey
Turkey, without which not a single Christmas table and Thanksgiving can do in America, is becoming popular with us, however, not all housewives know how to cook this meat to make it tasty, soft and juicy. Since this product is considered light, low-calorie and hypoallergenic, it must be included in the diet, especially when it comes to baby and medical nutrition. The fact is that turkey contains the least cholesterol compared to other types of animal products, and from a single serving of poultry you can get 60% of the daily dose of vitamins and minerals. Although turkey meat is not the easiest in the cooking process, there are several tricks that will help turn it into your favorite home-made dish.
Choosing a Good Turkey
If you are going to cook a turkey at home and hope to get a tasty dish, you should choose only fresh, young meat of good quality. Make sure that the skin of the bird is light and smooth (not slippery), and the meat is dense and elastic.
The abdomen of fresh turkey is usually moist and shiny, the carcass and scallop are light pink, the legs are smooth and gray, the eyes are convex and transparent, without cloudy spots. The most delicious meat is in turkey, whose age reaches 16 weeks, and weight - 5-10 kg. You should not chase large carcasses weighing 35 kg - as a rule, these are “elderly” birds, the meat of which remains hard and dry even after several hours of cooking.
Cooking Methods for Turkey
Stew the turkey in pieces, cook, fry in a pan, bake in the oven, on a skewer, in foil - in stuffed form or without filling. You can cook minced meat for cutlets, pies, meatballs or make a pate, boiled pork, meatloaf, roll, schnitzels, goulash, stew and basics.
Fruits, mushrooms, chestnuts, liver, dried fruits, nuts, rice, potatoes and other vegetables are popular as a filling for turkey. Turkey is very tasty in fruit glaze or in various sauces, this bird is often stewed in wine or champagne.
The turkey has one unusual feature - the white pulp of the bird easily adjusts to the taste of other types of meat, and if you mix the turkey with chicken, beef or pork, it will be difficult to guess that there is a turkey in the dish.
Turkey Cooking Secrets
- Buy a turkey no earlier than two days before cooking - at the same time, the carcass of a fresh bird should be thoroughly washed under water, wiped dry inside and out, cover with foil and refrigerate. Frozen turkey needs to slowly thaw - either indoors or in cold water, which needs to be changed periodically. Remember that a bird weighing 9 kg can thaw for two days.
- Never heat a cold turkey, as only meat at room temperature will be soft and juicy. Take the bird out of the refrigerator an hour before cooking.
- Before baking, it is better to marinate the turkey so that it turns out to be more tender and tasty. The marinade used is water, wine, champagne, cognac with sugar, honey, spices, herbs, lemon and garlic. The turkey must be in the marinade for up to three days.
- Instead of pickling, you can grate the carcass on the outside and inside with a mixture of garlic, salt, olive oil and rosemary, leaving it for several hours to soak.
- Fill the turkey with filling (not very tight) and sew the hole.
- How to cook a turkey in the oven to make the meat juicy? Place the bird breast-down on a baking sheet, in a sleeve or in foil, set the temperature to 170-190 degrees and bake, watering the carcass with the resulting juice.
- The baking time is calculated by the weight of the meat (including the filling) - add 18 minutes for every 450 grams.
Turkey cooked at the stake was a favorite dish of the Indian tribes, therefore, in fact, it received such a name. Learning how to cook a turkey is easy if you practice more often. In addition, this bird is combined with all products, is highly nutritious and inexpensive. And most importantly - it’s quite possible to feed 10-15 people with it, which means that you don’t have to worry about the holiday menu. However, it is not necessary to wait for Christmas to enjoy delicious meat - cook it at least every week, try various recipes, fillings, sauces and turn on your own imagination!
Cooking a turkey for Christmas. Good advice on how to properly defrost, stuff, bake and in what form to serve.
Not a single christmas in Europe and America it cannot do without a turkey, and every year all culinary publications discuss the intricacies of the preparation of this bird. For us, turkey is not a familiar product. Use a couple of practical tips, and you will be happy.
Properly bake a turkey - an extremely responsible occupation. To get started, calculate what size bird you need. It depends primarily on the number of guests. For example, from a two-kilogram turkey you get 4-6 servings of meat. It might be worth taking a bigger bird. For example, turkeys weighing 4.5-5.5 kg are enough to feed 8-10 hungry friends, but if there are already 12-15 invited, do not waste your time on buying a 9 kilogram bird.
Fresh or frozen?
The next step - decide in what form you are going to get the future queen of your table. Proceeding from this and act. Fresh turkey should be bought no earlier than two days before cooking. Remove the packaging from the bird house. Take out the insides, put them in a dish with a lid and refrigerate. Wipe the turkey with a paper towel (both outside and inside), put it on a large dish, cover with foil and also put in the refrigerator.
Frozen turkey requires careful thawing, and there are two options. In the first case, without removing the packaging, place the bird in a cool place with a temperature of no higher than 16 ° C. The second way is faster - immerse the packaged turkey in cold water, not higher than 15 ° C, regularly changing it. An average bird weighing 4.5-5.6 kg will unfreeze in 19-24 hours. But to bring in the proper form of a 9-kilogram pterodactyl, it may take up to two days!
When the turkey thaws, check to see if there are any ice crystals left inside. If everything is in order, remove the packaging and put the bird in the refrigerator.
|Bird weight||Defrost time||Bird weight||Baking time|
|in water||in a cool place||2.25 kg||1,5 hour|
|2.25 kg||10 hours||20 hours||3.6 kg||2.5 hours|
|4.5 - 5.6 kg||19 hours||22-24 hours||4.5 - 5.6 kg||3 - 3,5 hours|
|6.75 kg||30 hours||34-38 hours||6.75 kg||4,5 hours|
|9 kg||39 hours||40-48 hours||9 kg||6 o'clock|
Grocery Store Board
Turkey giblets can also be used. From the heart, liver and ventricle you get a wonderful broth - the basis for Christmas sauce.
To prepare the broth, place the giblets, chopped carrots, onion, celery stalk and bay leaf in a medium-sized pot. Season. Pour enough water so that you can cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 1-1.5 hours over low heat, then strain. It is better to cook the broth in advance and put it in the refrigerator overnight. By morning, the fat will rise to the surface, and it will be easy to remove.
But finally, the crucial moment comes - it’s time to start baking! Remove the turkey from the refrigerator and leave it for an hour. Accustomed to room temperature, and then once in the oven, the bird warms up as quickly as possible. And this is the guarantee that the meat will be tasty and juicy.
Cut the breast bone in the turkey - so it will then be much easier to cut the finished bird. Place the filling in the neck, and fill the main space with halves of lemon or orange and onion slices.
Bake the bird at 190 ° C (in an oven with air circulation - at 170 ° C), covering it with a loose-fitting foil (it will protect the tender breast meat from drying out). However, it is important not to overdo it, otherwise the "steam effect" cannot be avoided. Wash the roast with juicy juice every hour. And half an hour before ready, it is better to remove the foil - then the turkey will turn out shiny, with a crispy golden brown crust.
What is the time to bake? Regardless of the recipe, calculating the cooking time is simple: for every 450 g of weight, 18 minutes are laid. By the way, keep in mind that in a stuffed bird, the weight is taken with the filling.
Some experts advise cooking the turkey in a very slightly heated oven throughout the night, this can take up to 10-11 hours. The time with this method of baking is calculated as follows: 15 minutes for every 450 g of weight.
Checking turkey preparedness is easy. If you have a special meat thermometer, it's time to use it. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. Does the thermometer show 90 ° C? So the turkey was baked.
If there was no thermometer at hand, take a knitting needle, insert it into the most fleshy part of the leg and collect the allocated juice in a spoon. If it is pinkish in color or even with blood, it is better to return the turkey to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes. If the juice is clear or pale golden - it’s time to get the bird.
Transfer the turkey to a serving dish, cover it tightly with foil and let it lie down for 20-45 minutes before cutting. This will make the meat denser, and it will be easier to cut the bird.
First cut the legs. Hold the bird firmly by inserting a cutting fork on top into any half of the breast. Cut the skin between the leg and breast. Move the leg to the side and cut through the thigh joining point, cutting it off completely.
Cut the leg in half. Holding the leg bone up, separate the shin from the thigh. Repeat with the other leg.
Slice the meat. Hold the drumstick by the bone and cut the meat along the bone. Treat your hips in the same way.
Wings now. Make a cut from the edge of the breast in the direction of the wing. Lightly move the knife to feel for the connection, and cut through, grabbing a piece of breast. Repeat on the other side.
Chop breast. Hold the turkey side with a cutting fork and cut a thin slice of meat diagonally, starting from the neck and grabbing a little filling. Raise each cut piece, holding it between a fork and a knife and not allowing it to fall and fall apart. The process of slicing the breast into slices can be simplified. Holding the knife horizontally, make a puncture at the base of one of the sides of the breast. With a sawing motion, cut the meat from below under the whole breast, separating it from the skeleton.
By the way
The turkey left after the meal can be frozen. Separate the meat from the bones, cut into slices, put in a hard container or wrap in foil. To make the turkey tender, pour the slices with the sauce left after baking.