Decoration of evening and wedding dresses, hairstyles with decorative flowers is a modern trend, which has spread to the design of premises for celebrations. Growing flowers will help create a fairy tale in the style of "Alice from Wonderland" or travel to the royal garden. Let's get to know the process closer and try to create large flowers from the isolon with our own hands.
Getting to know the material and tools
First you need to understand what an isolon is, what it is and its properties.
Before making large flowers, you need to go to a hardware store for a universal insulating material - polyethylene foam. By the method of production, it happens:
- non-cross-linked - this is foamed polyethylene without additional treatments, so the price of such material is affordable,
- physically crosslinked (PPE 500) is a modified PPE that has improved properties, its service life is longer, but the price is higher.
Isolon is made in rolls and sheets with a thickness of 0.2 mm to 1 cm - a material of 2-3 mm is suitable for creating colors. There are options for foil, color isolon, so your flowers may not only be white.
In order to come up with a flower shape, you need to understand what you can do with the source material. So, the properties of the isolon and possible manipulations on it:
- Thin sheets can be easily cut with scissors or an assembly knife - thanks to the softness of the material, isolon growth flowers look natural.
- It does not burn, but melts. This property is used to shape the petals - they bend under heating, and by raising the temperature, the sheets can be “glued” pointwise.
- Relative tensile strength. The porous structure allows you to withstand small tensile loads without breaking, while the formation of waves that can become the decor of the petal.
- It is connected only by hot glue, stapler or thread.
However, the craftsmen found a couple more ways: the cut parts can be glued together with hot air from a hair dryer and a soldering iron
- Ordinary paints do not hold on it. You can take colored sheets or apply special ones.
- Scars form on the folds, so when making and storing flowers, you must be careful not to spoil the work.
- Not afraid of moisture, but turns yellow in the sun. Large flowers are great for outdoor decor, but white is best used in the shade.
Based on this, we understand that we will need additional tools and devices:
- tailor scissors or an assembly knife,
- hair dryer - building or household, but always with two heating modes,
- glue gun with temperature switch,
- stapler, thread,
- acrylic, rubber paints or spray cans,
And you will also need - wire, masking tape, flower pots, plastic pipes and even cement. But first things first…
Basic techniques and secrets of creating flowers from Isolon
The process of creating a flower begins with determining the shape of the petal and choosing a color scheme.
Dimensions depend on the dimensions of the finished product: the largest petal can be 20x20 cm, 30x30 cm or 45x45 cm and even more. The smallest - about 12x12 cm. In creating large flowers there is no rigid reference to the size - the outer petals grow as much as necessary. For example, a large peony or daffodil may be one meter in diameter. But the thickness of the material has a direct effect:
- From a thin isolon, miniature palm-sized specimens can be made, but large flowers will not keep their shape.
- Thick material with a thickness of 3 mm is great for large flowers, but small ones will look rough.
In the left picture is a giant daffodil from Isolon 4 mm thick with a large petal about a meter long. On the right picture shows a miniature peony made of material with a thickness of not more than 0.5 mm
It is important to remember that the Isolon, although a light material, but the larger and more magnificent the flower head, the harder it is and to prepare a rack for a giant follows an appropriate size and stability.
When you decide on the size of the details, make a template by which the blanks of the petal, sepals and leaves are cut. Under the influence of heat, the isolon softens and can be formed - by stretching the edge with your hands or bending the workpiece in different directions, it is necessary to give the petal the most natural look. When all the details of the flower are ready, it must be assembled using hot or mounting glue. If desired, the flower is painted in one or more layers, you can even paint veins in petals and leaves with an airbrush.
In the next video from the master Svetlana Artova, you will see a basic master class on creating a flower from an isolon. All techniques are simple, and the explanations are clear, so it is suitable for beginners.
But if you want to make various flowers from Isolon with your own hands, then you need to know a few secrets that are used by experienced craftsmen florists and decorators.
Remember! To do a realistic job, you need to know exactly what the plant looks like. Take a real flower, study its structure, you can use a picture or photographs. A rose, for example, has a bud, then half-opened petals are attached, and outside - open. At the peony, the edges of the petals are partially carved, and the four petals of the tulip are connected in pairs. Each flower has its own characteristics, and experienced florists know them.
Structurally, a decorative growth flower consists of: a flower, a stem, leaves, and a stand. Let's divide the tips into the same groups.
90% of success depends on the beauty of this part of the design, therefore, it is necessary to approach its manufacture responsibly. There are several options for making a bud or a core, the choice depends on the type of flower:
- on a tube by twisting the first petals - for a tulip, rose,
- on a solid base, for example from a laminate board with subsequent decoration - for poppy seeds,
- on the basis of a plastic flower pot or basin, - for roses, peonies,
- on a foam or paper ball - for a rose.
The appearance of the flower depends on the shape of the petal
To begin with, you can experiment on small flowers and see how it is more convenient, the main thing is to give a natural shape. The second question asked by novice craftswomen is the thickness of the material. There are a few tips:
- the thinner the isolon, the more tender the flower looks,
- the thicker the isolon, the stronger the flower
- for small flowers, an isolon is suitable no thicker than 2 mm,
- thin material is more suitable for a magnificent flower like a peony - so the petals look more natural.
Tip. If you are just learning how to make flowers from Isolon, start with a thickness of 2 mm. Such material is easier to form, but it cannot be overheated, otherwise it will melt and you will have to redo the petal again.
Stem and leaves
The presence or absence of the stem depends on the type of attachment: to the rack or to the wall. If you plan to mount a flower on a panel, then instead of a tube, a punched tape is attached to the back of the flower under the petals.
Wall mounting is carried out in two ways:
- If a special wall is constructed under the panel with holes or hooks, then the flower is hung on these fasteners using an ordinary large paper clip.
- If you need to temporarily decorate the wall, and you can’t beat many holes, then you can fix a piece of punched tape, foam sheets or rods in inconspicuous places. Then, with paper clips or clamps, attach flowers to these bases. Also, as a base, cornices can be used for curtains, door frames, or any other surface on which decor can be hung without damage.
An example of hanging flowers on a paper tape fixed to a wall:
appearance and close-up
To install it on a rack, you need a tube that, even at the stage of forming the bud or flower, is laid inside or glued outside. The pipe is selected according to the principle: the larger the head of the flower, the larger the diameter. But even for a heavy peony or ranunculus, 40 mm is enough.
Assembling the flower on the tube ensures a secure fit
If the flower is light, then you can glue the fasteners after assembly
The stem-stand can be made in several versions:
- Of steel bar or pipewelded to the base, but this is only suitable for the design of stationary photo zones.
- A simpler option would be direct plastic pipe, but if it is bent, then breaks will appear.
- Universal option - plastic tube, it can be repeatedly bent by a wave, a spiral in accordance with a specific design idea.
The finished stand is optionally decorated with a ribbon, for example trip-ribbon, white or colored tape or painted.
Growing flowers should have leaves so that the stem does not appear empty. The principle of formation is similar to the petals: cut, heat, bend, make a wave along the edge. The leaf is attached to the stem with hot glue.
On the left is a welded stand, and on the right is a stand – pot
If you plan to make a growth flower or a composition of several pieces, then you need to consider a stand. If you have the opportunity to make a welded version, then an additional stand is not necessary.
On the base with a thickness of up to 30 mm, it is necessary to weld the pins, on which tubes of flower stems will later be mounted
You can completely do without welding and make a stand yourself. A container made of dense plastic is suitable: a flower pot, a barrel. Knead the mortar from ordinary cement, insert the pipe into the barrel and fill it with a solution by a third. Set the required position of the pipe and let it congeal with the first layer. When the mixture hardens and the pipe is firmly fixed, you can add more mortar so that the stand is stable. The last step is to decorate the barrel with a cloth or paint the pot.
On the left is a ceramic pot with one central support tube.
On the right is a plastic barrel with many tubes – nests for a giant bouquet
Tip 1. Take the container either from soft plastic or from hard, but very dense. The hardening cement will expand, and thin plastic may burst and you will have to redo the stand again.
Tip 2. It is possible to cement a long pipe on which to subsequently attach the head of the desired flower. The second - a more convenient option - to fix a section of a pipe of a larger diameter into the base than the stem. Then your stand will be universal.
The only drawback is the very significant weight, but it will not be easy to overturn such a flower.
How to color flowers from Isolon
To paint whether or not flowers from Isolon is a master’s personal preference. There is tinted material on sale, so if the color scheme suits you, you can do without coloring. But, if you need to give the flower a special shade or you do not have color sheets, you can color white. The first thing you need to know is that not every paint lays on the isolon. Experienced craftswomen chose three main options, each of which has pros and cons:
- Spray paint ready to work, dries quickly, no spray gun needed. But the main drawback is that it crumbles under mechanical stress, especially during frequent transportation and has a high consumption.
- Acrylic enamel (for example, Feidal) lays in an even layer, does not crumble, retains its original appearance for several years. You can not apply it with a brush, with a sponge for a long time, and with a roller - a thick layer lies, therefore it is necessary to purchase an airbrush.
- Rubber paint it is also applied as acrylic, does not crack, withstands not only mechanical, but also temperature effects. The peculiarity of the paint is a matte surface, therefore, to give shine, it must be varnished.
If you use a spray gun, it is more convenient to paint the finished flower, if you do not have it, you will have to tint the blanks of the petals, and then collect the flower. In this case, only rubber paint is suitable. Some craftswomen use car enamels, but they are expensive, and it takes a lot of paint to dye large flowers.
Features of creating different types of flowers
The techniques for preparing petal blanks are the same, but in order to make beautiful flowers from Isolon, a master class from a pro is still necessary. After all, creating a realistic model is quite difficult, and florists-decorators have tried many ways and share secrets.
This master class describes one of the ways to form a flower, you can experiment and collect your fantasy rose.
The principle of tulip formation is radically different - the flower gathers around the stem, and the petals are glued in a special way. The process is shown in detail in the master class:
A way to create a flower will tell its shape:
- flat and movable poppy with a box-core - its petals should not fit snugly against each other,
- the airy peony with a round dense bud-center will be like real if you make carved edges,
- chrysanthemum looks better with thin and graceful petals,
- the middle of the graceful iris must definitely keep in shape.
Examples of creating decor with flowers from isolon
Large flowers - this is the original decor of the wedding celebration: a hall, a photo zone, a platform for the ceremony. Growing flowers will create a festive atmosphere at presentations, decorate a showcase or birthday.
Especially delicate is the decor in pastel colors.
Flower photo zone will provide unforgettable photos
Growing flowers are appropriate not only in wedding photos
Red roses framed by a photo - a spectacular reception
It’s impossible to go past such a window
However, not only growth flowers or large-scale compositions can be created from Isolon, but lamps can also look quite organic from it - on a stand or as a replacement for traditional sconces.
The dense ranunculus petals transmit light very effectively
Sconce or floor lamp - a large flower from Isolon will take center stage in the decor of the room
Describes in detail the progress of creating the lamp in the master class of the craftswoman Marusya DIY.
Part 1. Preparation of electricians.
Part 2. Assembly of the lamp.
Although a lot of time will pass from mastering the technique to creating a masterpiece and more than one sheet of isolon will be spent, this is not a reason to stop, because the decor made by hand is more soulful, and each work is unique.
For work, thin (up to 5 mm) sheets of foam rubber of different colors are used. The flowers made are used to decorate the working room, exhibitions, fancy dress, for the design of stage performances, festive columns of demonstrators, etc.
First of all, you need to choose the material of the desired color. If there is no foam rubber of the desired color, then it is pre-painted with aniline dyes, dried, and then used for work.
Foam flowers are very easy to make. Templates of petals and leaves are prepared from cardboard, put them on the foam and cut out the required number of parts. Petals at the base are connected with a thin copper wire (Fig. 37, 38).
Beautiful flowers are obtained from strips of foam rubber. The material is cut into narrow strips, the parts are folded together, the ends on one edge are connected with a thin copper wire. The stem is made of thicker wire, passing it through the middle of the flower. A few leaves made of foam rubber or green paper are attached to the stem.
We make compositions of roses in a vase.
Master class “Dahlias” from foam rubber.
Thank you for attention! I wish you creative success!
I wish you creative success!
"Roses". A master class in the technique of "stained glass" Weaving color, window lancet landscape, Saints, angels, heroes, And is called - a stained glass window. Green, red, yellow, blue, He is famously.
Photo report “Application from multi-colored circles” Summer is ending and there are cold rainy days ahead. Autumn has not yet fully entered into its rights; the sidewalks have not yet covered beautiful.
Master class for the contest "Educator of the Year" Roses from corrugated paper. - I, a creative person, and in my work I try to use various techniques and materials. With corrugated paper with the guys we started.
Workshop on making roses from corrugated paper. Purpose: mastering the technique of making roses from corrugated paper, developing imagination, creating an aesthetic taste. Tasks: Educational :.
The master class of the Silver Roses foil crafts Before work, you need to warn the children that the foil is easily wrinkled and torn, and you need to work very carefully. A roll of ordinary food foil.
Master class "Roses". Master Class. "Roses". We sculpt with children from a soft mass test of different colors. Prepared by: Educator: Vedenskaya M. A. MBDOU No. 35 “Fairy Tale”.
Master class "Roses from twisted paper flagella" On the street, rain and a sad mood. Urgent need to cheer up. So today we decided to make roses and cheer up with the guys.
Master class "Knitted roses as a gift for Mother's Day" On the eve of the brightest holiday of Mother's Day, work in kindergartens is in full swing: rehearsals of matinees are in progress, children draw portraits of their own.
Easter egg from multi-colored ribbons using the artichoke technique. Самый важный праздник в христианстве, это Пасха, или Светлое Христово Воскресение. Толкование этого праздника объясняется как: "Прехождение.
Sound analysis of a word using multi-colored rubber bands The development of skills in phonemic analysis and synthesis is an integral part of the correctional developmental training of a child with TNR. And what.