Flies live near humans. No matter how we try to protect ourselves from unwanted neighbors, sooner or later an unpleasant buzz is heard nearby. Mosquito nets and tightly closed doors do not always protect against the appearance of annoying insects. Neighborhood with them not only annoyingly affects the situation in the house, but also dangerous, because flies carry germs.
Ways to get rid of flies
These annoying insects lead an active lifestyle for six months - they wake up from hibernation in mid-April and stay awake until the end of October. And if at least one individual entered the room, it will certainly bother everyone present: buzz, sit on food and on a person. In order not to endure this discomfort, try to get rid of the little enemy.
The life of a fly under comfortable conditions is one month, and in the absence of food - up to two weeks.
Flies living with humans have become commonplace, they are even called indoor. Sometimes we do not notice their presence, brushing off, eating bread, fruits, on which insects managed to mark. We think about how to get rid of flies in an apartment only when their number exceeds permissible norms and begins to annoy. And the neighborhood is not so harmless.
An adult female lives about a month and a half and literally two days after hatching begins to lay eggs. A lot - up to 2000 pieces for his short life. Places for oviposition are chosen “favorable” for future larvae - rotting food waste, stool, manure heaps, cesspools. Now imagine, having laid eggs, the fly flies into the room. What will she bring on her paws?
Given that the main food source for flies is human food, they are carriers of dangerous intestinal infections, including:
- helminthic invasion,
- typhoid fever,
- cholera and others
As you can see, importunity is not the only reason to get rid of flies and isolate living quarters from them as much as possible.
Note! The full cycle of transformation of the insect (egg - larva - pupa - imago) passes very quickly - in 25-30 days. During the warm season, 6–9 generations of flies give way.
Why do flies strive to get into the house?
Paraphrasing a well-known saying, we can say that the wings are fed to the fly. Random whirling in the air is nothing more than a constant search for food, as well as a place to breed offspring. What attracts flies indoors?
- First of all, decaying food and waste products of human, animal. First of all, the insect rushes to the bin, to the toilet, to the cat's pot.
- Flies will certainly land on affordable food. Favorite smell - meat, in second place in popularity - sweets. With this in mind, many homemade traps are made using a sweet fermented filler.
- Flies love the smell of sweat, stale linen, do not miss dirty kitchen towels. There were cases when an insect managed to lay eggs in wounds and abrasions on the skin of animals.
- Pets, especially dogs, are the fourth most popular target for flies. The smell of wool plays a role here, as well as dishes, food residues, which, as a rule, are always in the house where four-legged pets live.
It should be remembered that flies are susceptible to smells - the more unpleasantly smelling dirt in the apartment, the more active it is populated by insects. They also acutely feel frightening aromas. Knowing them, you can effectively fight insects.
Warning is easier than defeating
In most cases, we first “invite” ourselves, and then look for ways to get rid of flies in the apartment. You need to start with the protection of the room. Prevention is recommended to be carried out in two directions - to block access to insects and eliminate sources that attract them. Here are activities that will significantly reduce the number of annoying neighbors.
- Install mosquito nets on the windows, on the open doors of the veranda - special curtains.
- Keep your apartment clean, especially the kitchen. Always clean or cover food, even if it is fruit or candy. No debris in the sink - wash it immediately after eating.
- Keep trash bins closed; wash them often with disinfectants. Take out the trash every day, preventing the smell from appearing in the room.
- Do not put spoiled meat or fish cleaners in the bin, immediately throw them in the garbage chute or on a compost heap.
- Wash your dishes daily. Do not leave leftover food in a bowl.
- Get a laundry basket. You can’t even imagine how attractive the smell of non-washable socks is to flies!
- Compost heaps, pits for food waste equipment away from home. If possible, cover them with lids.
It is more difficult to deal with insects if you breed birds, rabbits or livestock, as well as get rid of flies in an external toilet.
- Place manure heaps at the maximum distance from the living quarters.
- Keep the toilet and cesspool closed. From time to time sprinkle the contents of the need with bleach.
How to give “from the gate a turn” to uninvited guests?
There are many effective ways to deal with flies. Conventionally, they can be divided into 4 groups.
- Mechanical. They suggest trapping or killing an insect. These include fly swatters, all kinds of traps, Velcro, bait.
- Physical. We are talking about household appliances that destroy or scare away flies with the help of electric discharge, ultrasound, electromagnetic waves.
- Biochemical. This is a remedy for flies based on insecticides (kill) and repellents (scare away).
- Preventive. There are chemical and natural repellents that prevent insects from entering the room.
Consider the principle of action, the pros and cons of the most popular ways to deal with flies.
Mechanical methods of killing an insect
Among the advantages of mechanical control methods is harmlessness to humans and animals. But chasing flies or luring them into traps, achieving a 100% result is problematic. Nevertheless, if this is a city apartment, where insects are single instances accidentally flown over, mechanical traps may be quite enough.
Came to us from the Soviet era, but quite effective remedy for flies - adhesive tape.
It works like this. The strips of paper are saturated with attractant (attractive aroma), the surface is covered with a sticky substance. Tapes are hung near lighting fixtures, in the kitchen, baguettes. Flying on the smell, the flies stick and cannot get out of the sticky trap.
The disadvantage of this method is the aesthetically unattractive appearance of the streaked stripes.
Food Bait Traps
An effective remedy for flies is a poison bait trap. It is easy to do it yourself with an ordinary plastic bottle. How it works?
A sweet liquid is poured into the bottom of the trap, into which a poisonous substance is added. The insect enters the bait through the inverted neck of the bottle, but there is no turning back. What can be prepared for a “treat”?
- Add a pinch of ground black pepper to the sweet syrup or jam.
- Soak a slice of bread with a mixture of milk (the fourth part of a glass), soda (1 tablespoon), formalin (half a teaspoon). This bait can simply be laid out on saucers and placed in flocks.
- Soak bread, a napkin with a solution of honey with the addition of saccharin. A glass of warm water will need 10-15 g of sweetener. Despite the love of sweets, its insects can not stand.
Household devices for dealing with flies
On the Internet you can find many tips and recipes on how to get rid of flies with the help of homemade devices. But the game is not always worth the candle. It is much easier to purchase inexpensive and effective devices for repelling or killing insects. Their advantages:
- harmlessness to humans,
- 100% guarantee of cleaning the room,
- small sizes
- modern, aesthetically pleasing look.
The device that has received popular recognition is an electric fumigator from flies. The principle of operation is simple - from an electric charge, a plate saturated with fumigants begins to heat up and evaporate the poisonous substance - vaportrin. It is absolutely harmless to humans and warm-blooded animals, but paralyzes the respiratory system of insects.
Arguments in favor of the fumigator.
- The device is easy to use.
- It is durable, it is necessary to change only a plate or a bottle with liquid.
- The fumigant is odorless.
- A wide range of actions - flies, mosquitoes, midges, wasps.
The disadvantages of the fumigator include the rapid consumption of plates. If the house is large, you will need several appliances.
If you need to quickly destroy a large number of insects, the best remedy for flies is insecticides. They must be used carefully, especially if the house has small children, animals, aquarium fish. Insecticides are released in the form of aerosols, granules. Modern means, in addition to the immediate destruction of flying pests, have a prolonged effect, they prevent the appearance of flies after processing the premises.
Why are flies dangerous?
Before proceeding to a description of the methods of controlling flies, we will figure out why such a neighborhood is dangerous.
- Moving from place to place, they sit on food, infecting them with harmful microbes, which can cause not only severe poisoning, but also death.
- The habitat is great for spreading diseases. In the process of life, flies land on garbage, dirt or feces. Then these bacteria are transferred to food.
- Here are just a few of the ailments that these insects carry: diarrhea and dysentery, typhoid fever and typhoid fever, conjunctivitis and cholera.
- They are sources of salmonellosis, tuberculosis and ulcers.
Development and reproduction cycles of flies
There are 4 stages of development in the life cycle of this insect.
- Egg laying. One individual can lay about 150 eggs at a time. They are deposited in a humid environment. These are compost pits, manure or dumps.
- The larva is developing. From the moment of laying the eggs to the moment the development of the larva begins, very little time passes. The approximate time period is from 8 hours to a day.
- The larva pupates. Before this stage begins, the larva moves to a dry place in the house, where it turns into a chrysalis. The process takes three to four weeks.
- The birth of a fly. About one individual lives a month. During this time, she lays from 500 to 2000 eggs.
Stages of getting rid of flies
Fighting flies consists of two stages:
- Identification and elimination of breeding sites. By cleaning and tidying up distribution sites, you will significantly reduce the total number of adults. Take out garbage in a timely manner, close trash cans so that insects do not fly in and do not put offspring there. Treat them with vinegar as they become soiled. Vinegar is a hateful insect repellent. In apartment buildings, the place of accumulation of these flying creatures is the garbage chute. Washing is the responsibility of the Housing Office, but everyone should throw away the waste in tightly tied bags.
- Getting rid of adults. You can kill large flies in an apartment both using chemistry and folk remedies, because household chemicals are not always safe for the respiratory system of people.
Folk methods of fighting flies
- Vodka. Flies on the spirit do not tolerate the smell of alcohol. The method can be successfully applied in the courtyard of a private house or in the garden. Spray or rub a handful of vodka on your skin. In this case, the insects will not annoy you with their importunity.
- Essential oil. Lavender, eucalyptus, lemongrass, peppermint - the oils of these plants effectively repel flies.
- Cloves. The thick aroma of cloves repels insects. In the kitchen, leave 10-15 buds in a plate or vase. Perhaps the use of essential oils of this spice. Cut in half with lemon, with stuck buds of cloves, you can get rid of mosquitoes.
- Hazel based lotion. Mix half a glass of hazel decoction with the same amount of vinegar, add 30-50 drops of eucalyptus essential oil there. Such a composition can be applied to exposed skin.
- Sugar trap. Mix water with sugar in a sweet syrup. Pour it into a jar. Make a cone out of paper, insert the sharp end into a jar. Make sure that the edge of the cone does not touch the liquid syrup. Crawling into a sweet trap, the flies will not be able to get back.
- Black pepper bait. Combine a glass of water, 4 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of black hot pepper. Pour this solution in a saucer. Having tasted such goodies, the fly will depart to another world in a couple of days.
- Mechanical means of controlling flies are represented by the most common type of fly swatter. In this way, one way or another, everyone used it, whether it was a twisted newspaper or magazine. A weighty minus is ugly dirty stains on furniture, walls and ceilings. In addition to the most common fly swatter, there are vacuum and electrical types.
- Velcro at home is used most often. They are called "whiskers." The downside is that this design looks rather unsympathetic. Often, instead of insects, ghostly hosts fall into the sticky trap. Such a device can be bought in a store and made independently. Cook strong sugar syrup, add honey or jam to it. Cut strips of kraft paper, which are soaked in the resulting solution. Dry, hang in the right rooms.
- If you wash windows, slopes, doors, ores with the addition of turpentine or castor oil. Two-winged animals will not fly into the room.
- Pour a special solution into small jars. In a glass of water, spray dichlorvos and add two tablespoons of sugar. Set the bait but the whole house.
Plants and herbs for controlling flies
Some herbs help drive flies out of the house. Plant plants near the house. Herbs are ideal if you have an open terrace or a separate gazebo in the fresh air, in which the whole family dines.
- Geranium. This plant is very common among the decoration of the estate and premises. Pots with bright inflorescences attract human attention and drive flies away.
- Basil. Spicy plant is widely used in cooking. Its leaves exude a delicate aroma from which these insects run. If you live in a country house, you can plant the spice in pots near the house. In a city apartment, basil grows beautifully on the windowsill. In the absence of fresh herbs, use dried spices or essential oils.
- Bay leaf. This ingredient can be found in the kitchen of any housewife. Ordinary flies, Drosophila and even mice hate the smell of lavrushki.
- Peppermint. Use both fresh and dried peppermint to scare away. This plant will help get rid of ants, mosquitoes and rodents. Cut the mint in a saucer and leave near the dining area.
- Tansy or wormwood. Hang bunches of grass in the house; this prevents mites, mosquitoes, ants and bugs from multiplying.
- An onion fly that can attack an onion crop in a barn or basement is a very insidious pest. You can get rid of it with ammonia. Take 2 tablespoons of ammonia in 10 liters of water. Water the plants under the root in the evening. 2-3 such irrigation per season will protect vegetables from spoilage.
- Tear off fern or elderberry branches and place them in a vase as a bouquet. This will drive away all the dipterans.
Useful Tips for Getting Rid of Flies
- Install mosquito nets on the windows.
- Try to keep the house clean and tidy.
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink and a full bin.
- Keep food in the refrigerator on time and discard any missing food. This will prevent the appearance of cockroaches and mice.
Which of us likes flies? Most likely no one. These ubiquitous dipteran insects can ruin the life of even the most accurate housewife. Folk methods are indispensable in the fight against insects, because they are completely natural, effective and safe for human health.
From a plastic bottle
An ordinary plastic bottle with a volume of 1-2 liters will help to catch an uninvited guest:
- Cut off the upper part with "shoulders" from it.
- Fill the remaining container with a solution that will attract flies. Use a dishwashing detergent, sugar and apple cider vinegar in a ratio of 1: 3: 1 or another option - sugar syrup with food coloring. Flies love bright and sweet. A sweet bait is placed in a trap from a bottle onto which flies will fly
- Remove the cap from the top of the bottle and place it in the lower neck down to make a funnel. The insect will attract a colored and sweet solution, which it wants to feast on, and can no longer get out of the trap.
- The funnel can be played by an ordinary sheet of paper folded with a cone. A fly trap can be made from a glass jar and a paper cone
From a glass and a film
For this type of trap, you will need a glass transparent glass or a simple can and a cling film or plastic bag:
- Fill the glass container with any bright and sweet bait. From honey and water make a solution that is used as a bait for flies
- Cover with a film on top. To keep it tight, fasten it with an elastic band or wrap with thread.
- Простым карандашом или ножницами сделать в центре плёнки небольшое отверстие. Через дырочку насекомое попадёт в стакан и сразу утонет.
Чтобы в ловушку муха попала быстрее, поставьте её в солнечное место, где насекомые обитают чаще всего.
Из бумаги или бумажного пакета
Принцип работы ловушки из бумаги основан на способе использования магазинной липучки:
- Take a paper bag or baking paper. Their density is more suitable for traps than other types of paper. Stripes are diced from baking paper, dipped in syrup, and then used as a fly trap
- Cut paper products into strips 2-3 cm wide.
- Make a hole at one end of each of them, through which insert the rope and tie it.
- Cook syrup from regular or cane sugar and maple syrup in a 1: 2 ratio. Mix both components in an enamel pan, heat until sugar dissolves. Do not boil. From maple syrup and sugar make a sticky solution for a fly trap
- When the syrup has cooled, put strips in it and leave it for several hours, and preferably at night. This is necessary so that the paper strips are thoroughly saturated with an adhesive solution.
- Remove the paper and allow the excess solution to drain, so as not to spoil the floor with drops.
- Hang the tapes in rooms in places where there is the largest accumulation of insects.
Mechanical way of fishing using a glass and cardboard
It requires agility:
- Prepare a glass and cardboard or heavy paper.
- Wait for the fly to land on a flat surface.
- Slowly approach her and cover with a glass.
- Carefully, without moving it away from the surface, slip paper under it.
- Turn the trap over and get rid of the captive.
In a confined space, the chances of catching pests increase, so close the doors so that insects do not fly into another room.
How to catch a fly with your hands
This can be done if you have patience and become familiar with some rules:
- hold your palm, firmly connecting and bending your fingers, forming the shape of a boat,
- when the fly sits on the surface, let it get comfortable for a few seconds: this will prepare and guess the flight path,
- make sure that there are no things on the surface that you can drop or damage,
- if the insect has settled far away from you, move towards it smoothly, without sudden movements, since flies well catch activity near you.
You can quickly catch an annoying pest if you open the curtains in the room, and extinguish the rest of the light sources. He will sit on the glass, where it is easy to kill.
Chemicals in the fight against flies
There are many different drugs that can save from annoying insects. The choice in favor of one or the other means is based on cost, safety and ease of use.
- Aquafumigators. These are chemicals with a quick effect. During operation, they release poison in the form of steam, which kills flies and their larvae. Its minus is that toxic evaporation is dangerous for people and animals. Before use, you need to remove clothes, toys, food, dishes, animal bowls, and also leave the premises for several hours. Then ventilate it thoroughly. During the use of the aquafumigator there should not be pets or people indoors
- Traps. They are safe for humans and pets. They consist of bait and an adhesive element, which eliminates the possibility of escape of pests. They have different shapes - flytraps, adhesive tapes, window traps at the corners of the glass. Adhesive tapes and other traps with bait for flies - one of the effective ways to deal with them
- Exterminators of flies. These devices consist of lamps and do not emit toxins and poisons. They attract flies with light and heat, and then kill them with a small discharge of current or pull them in with a propeller. They are used indoors with people and animals. A significant minus is the price: the cost of devices ranges from 5,000 rubles and above. Aerosols from flies must not be sprayed onto people, food, utensils, or clothing.
- Powders and pills. Convenient to use. They are laid out or scattered in places inaccessible to children and animals. Validity - up to a month. Smoke bombs are usually not used in residential premises.
Cottages, baths, private houses
In such buildings flies appear more often than in apartments. This is due to the fact that they are not able to fly too high. The second factor is the presence of garbage cans located near buildings, cesspools and fertilizers.
If you do not live in the country all the time, then use aqua-fumigants and aerosols. They are suitable for the rest room in the bath. It does not make sense to process a steam bath, as flies that fly in will try to hide as soon as the temperature rises.
To prevent insects from annoying you, regularly disinfect cesspools and street toilets with bleach.
The floors of the veranda or dressing room are lubricated with turpentine mastic, and the walls and ceiling are diluted with powder from flies diluted in water. One of the most effective chemicals is Agit powder.
Agita Fly Remedy helps get rid of flies quickly and easily
Regular through ventilation will help drive flies out of the house.
In a chicken coop, pigsty or barn, flies feel at ease: they are warm and satisfying. But they bother the animals and can become a source of infection. It is important that the product chosen for pest control is safe for the inhabitants of the barn.
Before using any drug, remove all animals and remove food.
Suitable for fighting:
- Chemicals in the form of powder or tablets. They are diluted with water and applied with a brush to beams, ceilings, ceilings and other places where animals will not reach. Flies flying in perch and perish. Processing is enough for a month or longer.
- Sticky tapes. They are hung as high as possible. The best option is closer to the light bulbs, because flies are drawn to heat and light.
- Means with a strong odor that repel flies: mint, lemongrass, wormwood. Sheaves of grass are placed near windows and doors.
In the warm season, regularly ventilate the barn, creating a draft: the flies do not like him and will partially leave the room themselves.
Keeping cleanliness in buildings with animals is the key to quickly getting rid of insects.
In an effort to get a good harvest, quite often gardeners have to deal with various pests, including flies. Their larvae damage leaves and fruits. The most common greenhouse pest is whitefly.
Whitefly often attacks greenhouses
Remove all weeds and tear off diseased leaves to prevent rot. Treat the soil with disinfectants, for example, Actellik insecticide. There are also solutions for processing the walls of the greenhouse, which are not harmful to plants, like Confidor.
An unusual way to fight is to grow enkarsia. These are parasitic insects that destroy fly larvae, and they are safe for plants.
If you are against using chemistry in greenhouses, try folk remedies:
- plant dill or ghoul among the main vegetation: flies do not like these plants,
- process the leaves with garlic infusion several times a season,
- on warm days, provide fresh air.
Apartments and offices
Such flies rarely attack. To avoid the influx of insects, it is enough to keep clean:
- Dispose of garbage and food debris in a timely manner, wipe the crumbs,
- Store food in cabinets and in the refrigerator.
If flies are wound up, use traps and baits to combat them, which will not spoil the appearance of the room. Adhesive tapes hung in the corners do not look aesthetically pleasing. Powders and tablets are convenient. They are bred according to the instructions and put in small containers on the windowsill. Flies flock to smell and sunlight, staying there forever. You can make sweet bait yourself by pouring sweet syrups from water mixed with sugar, honey or jam into shallow saucers.
Strongly smelling herbs - mint, tansy, lemongrass - are suitable for scaring away flies. Pack them in cloth bags and tie them with tape. It looks much more attractive than beams. Use also aroma lamps with essential oils. Choose herbs and aromas that people living in the apartment or working in the office are not allergic to.
Frightened herbs packed in a bag look aesthetically pleasing
An unusual option is the venus flytrap, a houseplant that eats insects. As soon as the fly lands on the leaves, they close. After digesting the prey, the trap opens and is ready for the next meal.
Venus flytrap - a predatory plant that will help in the fight against insects
How to get rid of flies on the street and in the gazebos
When a gazebo is being built in the courtyard of a private house or cottage, all the inhabitants dream of a relaxing holiday. But flies often interfere with this. It may seem that fighting them in the fresh air is pointless, but if you follow a number of recommendations, the number of insects will decrease:
- Remove garbage containers and compost heaps as far as possible from rest areas.
- Mow the lawn regularly and destroy weeds.
- Next to the arbor, break into several small beds with mint, lavender or basil. Bird cherry also has a deterrent effect. The smell of mint discourages flies
- If there are a lot of insects, use aquafumigators and smoke bombs, which will destroy pests with poisonous fumes.
- Suitable for the fight and the street exterminator of flies. This device is safe for people and plants, and also has a large radius of action.
This summer I came across a fly-by-surprise problem for me. Having moved from an apartment to a private house in the village, my husband and I still could not get enough of it: fresh air, silence, natural products. And then it turned out that the number of flies directly depends on the household. The neighbors have hens, ducks, a cow, and we have a huge number of flies. Adhesive tape helped poorly, but Agita helped! It's incredible how easy it is to use! I bought a plastic bottle with a spray gun, added water and started spraying. Agita really worked! Flies, sitting on those objects that I sprayed, died, literally within three minutes! Moreover, I only processed the surfaces on the street, so the insects had no interest in flying into the house.
Many times I bought completely ineffective tapes of dubious manufacturers, to which flies categorically refused to stick, and from my own experience I know that tapes with attractants - substances of synthetic origin that attract insects are most effective. However, ribbons with honey were no worse than ribbons with attractants! Flies very willingly went to honey! Insects adhere to Muhoyar tightly. For a month, on my veranda, Mukhoyar’s tape gathered a healthy crop!
Today I bought a drop dead tool called Agita 10 WG. It is such a granular powder. The contents of the package must be diluted in 200 ml of water, and then process the places of accumulation of flies. It took about 5 minutes after I ran around the house with a spray (I used a regular bottle of liquid for washing glasses, it’s very convenient), and the flies flew to the forefathers.
Kosmonaut Misha Russia, Pskov
At home, fumitox works, we change tablets every day, but there’s no sense. We buy different pills, but mosquitoes have immunity along the way.
If you turn on the lamp, then the insects are attracted by ultraviolet light. And they fly to metal nets. Metal mesh covered with a plastic case. This grid is energized. And this voltage is enough for insects. But for humans it is safe.
With the same ease with which the fly enters the room, you can get rid of it. Means of dealing with uninvited guests are many. It takes a lot of money, time and patience, so it is better not to let insects into the house. Cleanliness, ventilation and suitable plants indoors and in the country will help to do this.
Granular Insecticide Agita
Among the new generation of insecticides - Agitation from flies. This is a granular preparation, which, in addition to the toxic substance, contains sexual pheromone. He attracts flies, and after tasting the treats, they quickly die. Agita does not smell, has a wide range of actions - cockroaches, fleas, ants, wasps will also die. The drug can be diluted for spraying or lay out granules in places of accumulation of insects. After processing the premises, there will be no flies for 4-8 weeks.
Note! Other insecticides have similar Agita characteristics. The flybyte retains the effect for 3 months (once sprayed for the whole summer). Jet kills adult insects, larvae, eggs. The executioner emulsion will destroy all flying, crawling pests in the apartment.
There are many repellents in nature, with the help of which you can both block access to the room and get rid of flies. What smells are annoying insects afraid of? How can this be used to combat them?
- Plant lavender near the windows, the front door, snapdragon, ferns, tansy, flies will fly around your house.
- Indoor plants will produce the same effect - geranium (pelargonium), myrtle.
- Fill the room with flavors unpleasant for flies. In aroma lamps, use the essential oils of peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, cloves.
- Sachets with these plants, bouquets of dried flowers will perform the same function.
- When cleaning the apartment, add vinegar or a few drops of turpentine to the water. The smell is almost indistinguishable to humans, and the insects will scare off.
There are a lot of effective drugs, interesting methods for controlling flies. But do not count on victory if cleaning the apartment is not your priority. Sometimes a bucket of water and a rag are more effective than an aerosol or a fumigator.